Sunday, March 30, 2014

Lazy autumn Sunday

Every autumn, I think Canberrans start panicking about the impending winter and rush to enjoy the outdoors while they can.  Today felt like one of those days.
With no kids in tow, we barely made it to the farmer's market at Woden, then finished up the shopping at Fyshwick Markets.  Deli Planet makes good coffee and great pizza - today we shared a 'Green eggs and ham' calzone.
Even though it was overcast and threatening, I thought I'd risk a walk around the lake.  I couldn't believe how packed the parking was - until I saw the Italian car festival on the lawns in front of Old Parliament House.  Just around the corner the 100 Swords had a big gathering in front of the National Library.
I nearly got taken out by a cyclist or two.  Then I realised how many self-propelled people were making their way around the lake.  Joggers, runners, segway-riders, kids on scooters and roller blades.  Even a unicycler.
Canberra, more than any place I've ever lived, is full of weird and wonderful groups, practising every pastime you've ever heard of.  It doesn't matter if you're into medieval sword play, mountain biking, poetry slams or raising bees, there is a group here, ready to support your efforts and get you started.  My secret theory is that Canberra is full of passionate people from somewhere else.  When they move to this supposedly quiet little town they look for people with the same interests or similar backgrounds.
It's just a theory.  But I'm happy to enjoy all the diversity I find here.

No comments:

Post a Comment